Harry R. Sachse, a founding partner of the firm, specializes in litigation and negotiations concerning land claims, hydropower, fishing rights, water rights, oil and gas issues, and gaming. He was the principal attorney in the Puyallup Land Settlement and the Colville Grand Coulee Settlement – two landmark settlements.
From 1971 to 1976, Mr. Sachse was an Assistant to the Solicitor General of the United States, U.S. Department of Justice. In this role, he argued ten major cases in the Supreme Court including such historic cases as McClanahan v. Arizona Tax Commission, 411 U.S. 164 (1973) (state taxation of reservation income); Washington Department of Game v. Puyallup Tribe,414 U.S. 44 (1973) (Indian fishing and hunting rights); United States v. Mazurie, 419 U.S. 544 (1975) (tribal governmental powers); and Morton v. Mancari, 417U.S. 535 (1974) (preference in the hiring of Native Americans). Immediately before that, Mr. Sachse had been Assistant General Counsel of the U.S. Agency for International Development.
Mr. Sachse, as an adjunct professor, has taught American Indian Law and Appellate Advocacy at the University of Virginia School of Law, American Indian Law at Harvard Law School, and the Rights of Indigenous Peoples in International and Comparative Law at The Georgetown University Law Center.
- Editor-in-Chief of the Louisiana Law Review (1957)
- Shoshone Indian Tribe of Wind River Reservation, Wyo. v. United States, 672 F.3d 1021 (Fed. Cir. 2012)
- United States v. Confederated Tribes of Colville Indian Reservation, 606 F.3d 698 (9th Cir. 2010)
- Rice v. Cayetano, 528 U.S. 495 (2000)
- Confederated Tribes of Colville Reservation v. United States, 964 F.2d 1102 (Fed. Cir. 1992)
- Knight v. Shoshone & Arapahoe Indian Tribes of Wind River Reservation, Wyo., 670 F.2d 900 (10th Cir. 1982)
- United States v. Mazurie, 419 U.S. 544 (1975) (tribal governmental powers)
- Morton v. Mancari, 417 U.S. 535 (1974) (preference in the hiring of Native Americans)
- Mattz v. Arnett, 412 U.S. 481 (1973) (reservation boundaries)
- Wash. Dep't of Game v. Puyallup Tribe, 414 U.S. 44 (1973) (Indian fishing rights)
- McClanahan v. Arizona Tax Commission, 411 U.S. 164 (1973) (state taxation of reservation income)
Author of Powers of Indian Tribes chapter in the 1982 revised edition of Felix S. Cohen's A Handbook of Federal Indian Law.
Louisiana State University, J.D., 1957
University of Paris, diploma in comparative law
Louisiana State University, 1955
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia, 1976
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1971
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit, 1980
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, 1977
- U.S. District Court for the District of Northern New York, 1982
- U.S. Tax Court, 1978
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1978